Church History discuss When was the first Denomination? in the The Church forums; and what was the first denomination?...

Bladestunner316 is offline. Puritanboard Doctor

When was the first Denomination?

and what was the first denomination?
    Nathan Olaf Brandal

"Man is nothing: he hath a free will to go to hell, but none to go to heaven, till God worketh in him to will and to do his good pleasure"
    GEORGE WHITEFIELD TO JOHN WESLEY

My Blog

Pilgrim is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Blade,

Don't you know that the Baptist church started with John the Baptist?

Seriously, denominations as we know them today in a situation where the freedom to choose a church was was widespread probably started in the USA with disestablishment since prior to that there were state churches. Or you could go back to the English Separatists or dissenters who separated from the Church of England or those in other countries who separated from the established church. It really depends on definition, I suppose. You could go back to the Great Schism between Rome and the Eastern Orthodox 11th Century.

Christian denomination - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Chris
    Currently seeking a church--in transition
    One Pilgrims Progress |Twitter

And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come. Luke 19:13

DMcFadden is offline. Meum cerebrum nocet
    Whew! I'm sure glad you attributed the origin of baptists to the appearance of John the Baptist. Most of the baptists I know are convinced they trace directly to Jesus.
    Dennis E. McFadden, Ex Mainline Baptist (in Remission)
    Atherton Baptist Homes, Alhambra, CA, President/CEO, Retired
    Emmanuel Lutheran Church, LCMS

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

jaybird0827 is offline. PuritanBoard Honor Roll
    Blog Entries
    I think it was much earlier than that.

Cain v. Abel Gen. 4:3-5

Pharisees v. Sadducees Acts 23:6-8

Gnostics I John 2:19

Nicolaitans Rev. 2:6
    ~Jay~
    Husband of ENS, father of J II. | Indian Trail, NC
    disabled - cancer
    Communicant Member, Precentor | Presbyterian Reformed Church of Charlotte, NC | Presbyterian Reformed Church

Semper Fidelis is offline. 2 Timothy 2:24-25
    Blog Entries
    There's the Judaizing denomination, the Gnostic denomination, ....

Within the RCC, there were several orders for many centuries. There's more theological diversity within the RCC than among most Evangelicals.
    Rich
    Ruling Elder, Licentiate, Under Care, Hope of Christ Church (PCA), Northern VA
    Student, New Geneva Theological Seminary

WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to build and promote your web site.
    SoliDeoGloria.com - A Community for Reformed Thought and Discussion

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

Pilgrim is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Quote Originally Posted by SemperFideles View Post
    There's the Judaizing denomination, the Gnostic denomination, ....

Within the RCC, there were several orders for many centuries. There's more theological diversity within the RCC than among most Evangelicals.
    That's definitely true. And sometimes it causes RC apologists to stumble. I used to debate one in various forums. He would describe RC practice in the USA but would simply brush aside the differing (and more traditional RC) practices in other countries, claiming ignorance, etc.
    Chris
    Currently seeking a church--in transition
    One Pilgrims Progress |Twitter

And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come. Luke 19:13

JTDyck is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcFadden View Post
    Whew! I'm sure glad you attributed the origin of baptists to the appearance of John the Baptist. Most of the baptists I know are convinced they trace directly to Jesus.
    Actually, Mennonites go back even further than that -- to John's mother Ana
    John T. Dyck
    Pastor, Edmonton Bible Presbyterian Church
    www.edmontonbpc.org
    www.bpc.org
    www.shortercatechism.com

On a more serious note...

Wouldn't one of the first formal denominations within the Church have been the division between Israel and Judah? It was certainly sectarian in nature and involved the people of the Lord on both sides. God sent prophets to both of these "denominations," even though He did have his eye upon Judah in a special providence and historical purpose.
    John T. Dyck
    www.edmontonbpc.org
    www.bpc.org
    www.shortercatechism.com

Mushroom is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Started pretty early in the NT Church:

1Co 1:12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
    1Co 1:13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

LadyFlynt is offline. Inactive User
    Quote Originally Posted by JTDyck View Post
    John's Mother was Elisabeth.
    JC - PCA - PA...homesick for SC
    A we n' de Ya, ho; I mak sikker; Deus juvat

Indicabo tibi o homo quid sit bonum, et quid Dominus requirat a te: Utique facere iudicium, et diligere, misericordiam, et sollicitum ambulare cum Deo tuo. Michaeas 6:8

"Who says you can't go back, been all around the world and as a matter of fact. There's only one place left I want to go, who says you can't go home" Bon Jovi

Reformed Covenanter is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Blog Entries
    When was the first Denomination?
    The Reformed Presbyterian Church of Ireland; the rest are break-aways from us.
    Daniel
    RPCI
    Northern Ireland
    "May that happy period soon arrive when the unclouded glory of divine revelation will shine from pole to pole; when men every where will see eye to eye, in all things that are connected with divine glory, and with their own eternal felicity." William Stavely (Irish Covenanter), An appeal to light (1796), pp 143-4

Coram Deo is offline. Inactive User
    Brother, I would not call them denominations..... They were not splits on doctrinal matters but were merely party spirit and men followers... I am of Paul, I am of Apollos, etc.... He makes reference to "wisdom of words" in verse 17... An example of this would be... 3 pastors are in the same church.. the congregation is split into parties... I am of Pastor A because of his charismatic personality, another says I am of Pastor B because of his elegance with words... Another party says I am of Pastor C because I like how he talks with body language, etc ,etc, etc....

I see nothing in the verse that speaks a bout denominations especially for important doctrinal matters.....

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Started pretty early in the NT Church:

1Co 1:12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
    1Co 1:13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?
    Michael Daniels
    Reformed, RPCNA
    Denton, Maryland

[i][b]As For Me And My House, We Will Serve The Lord[/i][/b]

[SIZE="1"][I][FONT="Century Gothic"]Unum Deum in Trinitate: Pater, Filius, et Spiritus Sanctus [RIGHT]Sola scriptura - Sola gratia - Sola fide - Solus Christus - Soli Deo gloria - Solum psalterium - Lex talionis[/RIGHT][/FONT][/I][/SIZE]

Coram Deo is offline. Inactive User
    Weren't the first three church splits on doctrinal matters in the New Covenant Era, Turtillianites, followed Montanism, followed by the Donatist split?
    Last edited by Coram Deo; 03-07-2008 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Forgot Montanism....
    Michael Daniels
    Reformed, RPCNA
    Denton, Maryland

[i][b]As For Me And My House, We Will Serve The Lord[/i][/b]

[SIZE="1"][I][FONT="Century Gothic"]Unum Deum in Trinitate: Pater, Filius, et Spiritus Sanctus [RIGHT]Sola scriptura - Sola gratia - Sola fide - Solus Christus - Soli Deo gloria - Solum psalterium - Lex talionis[/RIGHT][/FONT][/I][/SIZE]

ADKing is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by thunaer View Post
    Weren't the first three church splits on doctrinal matters in the New Covenant Era, Turtillianites, followed Montanism, followed by the Donatist split?
    The early 3rd century saw a number of rival factions set up separate ecclesiastical structures.

1. Montanism (although some Montanists continued to exist in the catholic church even after it was condemned as a heresy). Tertullian was for a period of his life a Montanist.

2. Hippolytus and Novatian both led separate "denominations" (to use an anachronism) in Rome over disputes both doctrinal and moral with the bishop of Rome.

3. A little later on in the 3rd century the Donatists in North Africa established a separate communion from the catholics which persisted for quite a long time. There were some eras when the Donatists even had the upper-hand in North Africa over the catholics. Constantine and his successors did much to try to bring them back into the catholic fold or else extirpate them.

Of course from there, as you know, there story gets more and more fractured...

I suppose I should add, as an afterthought that Marcion was accused of establishing separate churches in the east after his excommunication in Rome.
    Adam King
    Reformed Presbyterian Church
    Wichita, KS

ChristopherPaul is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    As far as recognized denominations as we know them today where people intentionally left an organized orthodox group and confession to start a new organized and orthodox group with a new confession, I would think the first would be around the time of the Protestant reformation. The Reformation inadvertently caused the church to realize or to suppose that a new church could be started as soon as a conflict or disagreement arose. Mainstream fear of the clergy was lost with the Reformation. In my opinion, the binding fear towards the Roman church was unbiblical, yet the lack of any fear/reverence among many of the offshoots of the Reformation churches is just as unbiblical.

When I say "orthodox" above I mean Christian/Trinitarian (Gnostics, Mormans, and the like are not denominations but separate religions altogether i.e. non-Christian).
    Christopher Reeder
    Husband to Kara, Father to Abigail (11), Caleb (10), Grace (9), ZoŽ (7), Elijah (6), Hannah (4), Mary (2), Philip (1), and Boy (in womb)

Member: Greenville Presbyterian Church, Free Church of Scotland (Continuing), Greenville, SC

Quote Originally Posted by LadyFlynt View Post
    John's Mother was Elisabeth.
    Technically
    I guess it's more of a historical/cultural joke:
    Ana Baptist.
    John T. Dyck
    www.edmontonbpc.org
    www.bpc.org
    www.shortercatechism.com

Archlute is offline. Puritanboard Senior