Theological Forum discuss learning greek at home in the Theology forums; Any suggestions what the best resources available for learning greek at home? Thanks....

Preach is offline. Inactive User

learning greek at home

Any suggestions what the best resources available for learning greek at home? Thanks.
    Bobby Gawthrop, V.D.M.
    licensed, ordained SBC, licensed PCA
    Ph.D. student (Whitefield Theological Seminary)
    "Every minister in those days had a V.D.M. degree: Verbum Dei Minister. When, therefore, I became a teacher of apologetics it was natural for me to think, not only of my Th.M. and my Ph.D., but above all of my V.D.M. The former degrees were but means whereby I might be true to the latter degree." Cornelius Van Til

Ranger is offline. Inactive User
    I suggest are Black's "Learn New Testament Greek." It's easy to understand and in the best format I've seen yet. I have two other grammars that are much more confusing.

Start working through a grammar while trying to read 1 John and the gospel of John. You will only be able to pick up phrases at first, and that's okay, but eventually you will get to the point where you can read much of the New Testament without even using a lexicon or grammar for assistance (I'm not there yet, but getting close).

[Edited on 5-17-2004 by Ranger]
    Ranger
    SBC, but personally confess the 1689 LBCF
    Yunnan, China

"If we regularly beheld the glory of Christ, our Christian walk with God would become more sweet and pleasant, our spiritual light and strength would grow daily stronger and our lives would more gloriously represent the glory of Christ. Death would be most welcome to us." - John Owen

alwaysreforming is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Hey, Bobby:
    Do a yahoo search and you'll find BiblicalTraining.org (I think that's the name of it). They have some great audio teaching by William Mounce. Very good stuff.

Also, Machen's "New Testament Greek for Beginners" is good.
    Name Not Shown
    (to prevent my posts here from showing up on web searches of my name)
    Northland Church
    (Currently residing in Greenville, SC)

Christopher is offline. Inactive User
    Here is the site for tons of Greek sites.

http://www.virtualseminary.net/cgi-b...wtestamentpage

virtual seminary is a good site for finding stuff like this.

BiblicalTraining.org is correct. For those who do not know this site there are seminary lecturs by some big names here that you can listen to for free. In fact I am listening to Ronald Nash right now.

IMO, better than the website I have given is the Parsons Greek Tutor cd-rom. It is interactive and great. I used it for extra drill when I learned Greek at sem. You can learn basic greek through this. I highly recomend it. It even has audio to help you hear what it should sound like. It is great if you do not have someone teaching you.

BobVigneault is offline. Bawberator
    I want to second the endorsement for Mounce.
    It comes with a cd rom so you get to hear Mounce's lectures and there are flash card drills in the software. There are also a couple pda based flash card programs available through his site, www.teknia.com.
    I used Machen in college and it's the standard but it's also a bit dated in it's method. Machen is a lot easier if you have a teacher and any Greek lessons are easier if you have a study partner. Mounce has taken the best of several methods and systhesized them. You can get the books at a great price through Overstock.com. I recommend both books.

Basics of Biblical Greek Grammar:$24.39
    Basics of Biblical Greek Workbook:$12.99
    When it comes to havoc, I WREAK!
    Bob Vigneault
    Seventy And Fourteen (blog)
    The Heartbeat of Heaven (blog)
    Spiritual Warfare (blog)
    Member, Grace Evangelical Free Church (Reforming!), Afton, WI
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

fredtgreco is offline. Vanilla Westminsterian
    I'm an old fuddy duddy so I like Machen, but I wouldn't even learn NT Greek - full Attic all the way!

Having said that, a HUGE advantage of Mounce is that the text is used by almost every seminary. So if you want to press on, you are using the same method

[Edited on 5-18-2004 by fredtgreco]
    Fred Greco
    Senior Pastor, Christ Church PCA (Katy, TX)
    Christ Church Blog

"The heart is the main thing in true religion...It is the hinge and turning-point in the condition of man's soul. If the heart is alive to God and quickened by the Spirit, the man is a living Christian. If the heart is dead and has not the Spirit, the man is dead before God." (J.C. Ryle)

Ok -- so even the spell checker Scott gave us doesn't solve everything.

[Edited on 5-18-2004 by fredtgreco]

BobVigneault is offline. Bawberator
    By the way, if you go with Machen, the book can be very pricey, go to these guys, they have a very economical reprint.

http://www.biblicalbook.com/detail.aspx?ID=1306
    When it comes to havoc, I WREAK!
    Bob Vigneault
    Seventy And Fourteen (blog)
    The Heartbeat of Heaven (blog)
    Spiritual Warfare (blog)
    Member, Grace Evangelical Free Church (Reforming!), Afton, WI
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

Fred, I thought it was funny. I had these images of you studying at sem. late at night and due to over study and filling your head you begin to lick the text books hoping that by ingesting the ink you would absorb the knowledge of your texts. LOL. Love ya bro.

alwaysreforming is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore

Attic Greek

Fred:
    Are you serious about this? If so, why? This is the first time I've heard someone express this opinion. Was Attic Greek the language right before NT Greek? Is it very similar? Does it help you understand the NT?
    Name Not Shown
    (to prevent my posts here from showing up on web searches of my name)
    Northland Church
    (Currently residing in Greenville, SC)

sundoulos is offline. Inactive User
    Attic Greek, which is based on Ionic Greek, precedes and is the basis for Koine Greek. It is the language of the Greek classics. At one time the study of Attic Greek was a prerequisite to studying Koine Greek. I forget why that requirement was dropped.
    Willard (Bill) Paul, Teacher
    Kitsap Lake Baptist Church (SBC)
    Bremerton, WA

"It is not what a man says he will do, but what he does,
    that determines his character and reveals his ethic."

[quote:33c9052ca7][i:33c9052ca7]Originally posted by alwaysreforming[/i:33c9052ca7]
    Fred:
    Are you serious about this? If so, why? This is the first time I've heard someone express this opinion. Was Attic Greek the language right before NT Greek? Is it very similar? Does it help you understand the NT? [/quote:33c9052ca7]

Christopher,

I am serious. Koine is actually a subset of Attic Greek. If you know Attic you can easily read Koine, and also Plato, Aristotle, Homer (which is only slightly different than Attic, it's Ionic), and basically all the other classics. If you just learn Koine, you would only be able to read any Classics with great difficulty.

Attic was actually still in use far into the 3rd-4th century A.D. in literary materials (see Dio Cassius and others who wrote in the post-Christ period)
    Fred Greco
    Christ Church Blog

"The heart is the main thing in true religion...It is the hinge and turning-point in the condition of man's soul. If the heart is alive to God and quickened by the Spirit, the man is a living Christian. If the heart is dead and has not the Spirit, the man is dead before God." (J.C. Ryle)

Fred, in my last post I was refering to what you edited out in my first post about you "licking Machen." I thought it was funny. Love ya bro.

panicbird is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Fred,
    What books would you recommend for learning Attic? I know Koine already, but it would be nice to know more.

Lon

[quote:24b784e4d4][i:24b784e4d4]Originally posted by panicbird[/i:24b784e4d4]
    Fred,
    What books would you recommend for learning Attic? I know Koine already, but it would be nice to know more.

Lon [/quote:24b784e4d4]

Lon,tr

If you already know Koine pretty well, you should probably just try and read some simple Greek with a grammar handy (hint, the optative has more uses than "God forbid!" )

I'd recommend Herodotus, or some of the easier short Platonic dialogues (Apology is good) or even some Homer. Get a text and a translation that you can look at to help you along.

If you want to look at a good simple textbook, I used and enjoyed "Greek: An Intensive Course" by Hansen and Quinn.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...08756?v=glance
    Fred Greco
    Christ Church Blog

panicbird is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Thanks Fred!

Lon