Meditating on the Preached Word discuss Sermons For This Lord's Day (8/23/09) in the Preaching forums; The girl's were both feeling ill this morning so we went to my old PC(USA) church here in town (where I am preaching in two ...

Backwoods Presbyterian is offline now. Puritanboard Doctor
    Blog Entries

Sermons For This Lord's Day (8/23/09)

The girl's were both feeling ill this morning so we went to my old PC(USA) church here in town (where I am preaching in two weeks) and heard a sermon that was the next in a sermon series on the Lord's Prayer. Her text was Luke 4:1-13. Well not much to say except when you hear a UMC preach you should expect a UMC sermon.

What did you hear this morning?
    Rev. Benjamin P. Glaser, M. Div, ARP
    Pastor, Ellisville Presbyterian Church, ARP
    Ellisville, Mississippi

‎‎"Ministers of the Gospel, when dispensing the truths of God, must preach home to their own souls, as well as unto others. Sir's, we do not deliver truths or doctrines to you, wherein we ourselves have no manner of concern. No, our own souls are at the stake, and shall either perish or be saved eternally, as we receive or reject these precious truths which we deliver unto you. And truly, it can never be expected that we will apply the truths of God with any warmth or liveliness unto others, unless we first make a warm application thereof to our own souls. And if we do not feed upon these doctrines, and practise these duties, which we deliver to and inculcate upon you, though we preach unto others, we ourselves are but castaways." -- Ebenezer Erskine, "The Assurance of Faith", pg. 8

Deo Vindice

Webservant is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Aisquith Presbyterian Church Sermons (A Leading Community - Robert E. Bell)
    Hebrews 13:4-6 (ESV)
    A sermon about contentment
    Last edited by Webservant; 08-23-2009 at 12:14 PM.
    Rich Brown
    Deacon/Webmaster
    Aisquith PCA
    Parkville, MD

SolaScriptura is offline. Puritanboard Softy
    I preached from Hebrews 6:13-20.
    Ben
    Chaplain, US Army
    Columbia, SC
    TE Potomac Presbytery, PCA
    www.thebenaddiction.com

"Whenever I'm about to do something, I think, 'would an idiot do that?' And if they would, I do not do that thing." -- Dwight Schrute

"I've been so thoroughly trained that I don't even need to think before I speak." -- Harry Crumb

fredtgreco is offline. Vanilla Westminsterian
    I preached on Philippians 3:12-16, "Eyes on the Prize."

I. There is a Race to be Run
    A. You Don’t Start at the Finish Line
    B. You Can’t Choose Where to Stop

II. Run the Race
    A. With Effort
    B. With Focus
    C. With the Goal in Mind

III. Grace in the Race
    A. God Equips Us
    B. God Calls Us

Questions for Lunch: (1) What is the danger of being satisfied with our Christian life? (2) What bad things in your past are you tempted to be distracted by? What good things? (3) How can Paul’s thoughts here help us to witness to others?
    Fred Greco
    Senior Pastor, Christ Church PCA (Katy, TX)
    Christ Church Blog

"The heart is the main thing in true religion...It is the hinge and turning-point in the condition of man's soul. If the heart is alive to God and quickened by the Spirit, the man is a living Christian. If the heart is dead and has not the Spirit, the man is dead before God." (J.C. Ryle)

Marrow Man is offline. Drunk with Powder
    I preached on 1 Peter 1:3-5 -- "Our Inheritance in Christ: Priceless"
    Tim Phillips
    Pastor, Midlane Park Presbyterian Church (ARP)
    Louisville, KY
    Husband of Scottish Lass
    Father of Grace Cameron Phillips
    My Blog: Gairney Bridge
    My Facebook/My Avatar

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

Jake is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    My pastor continued his series on Romans and today the sermon was on Romans 3:21-31.
    Jake
    Member, OPC
    Georgia

JBaldwin is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    The sermon today was on Genesis 37--Joseph is sold into slavery by his brothers.

The main idea behind the sermon was that God caused Joseph to be sold into slavery in order to save His people from the famine down the road in the same way that God sent Jesus to suffer so that He could be our deliverer.

Some thoughts from the sermon:

1) God was silent when Joseph called out to his brothers. God does not always answer our prayers with the immediate action that we expect.
    2) The story of Jospeh in scripture points to the Christ and His deliverance.
    J Baldwin
    Keowee Presbyterian Church, PCA
    Pickens, SC
    “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.” Luke 10:27

Check Out My Blog: http://reflectjoy.blogspot.com/

LawrenceU is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    I preached from Luke 6:12 ff. Today's sermon was Jesus' practice of prayer and what that displays to us regarding a life of prayer.
    'There's nae jouking in the cause of Christ' - James Guthrie

We shall not adjust our Bible to the age; but before we have done with it, by God's grace, we shall adjust the age to the Bible. - Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
    Pastor - Providence Family Fellowship / Mobile, Alabama
    LBC
    My Blog - Imprimis

Deo Vindice

JonathanHunt is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    I preached from Mark 3.31-35 this morning, on the wonder of being called the brothers and sisters of Christ, and this evening on Psalm 129, 'God's people never defeated'.

The Lord is RIGHTEOUS - Psalm 129.4
    Jonathan Hunt

Pastor, Morton Baptist Church Thornbury, South Gloucestershire, United Kingdom since 2012

Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence. -- Thomas Elsworth

*Please note* I've been a member of this board for over ten years. Things I wrote in 2004 and intervening years do not neccessarily represent my attitudes or positions now. Thank you!

dannyhyde is offline. Inactive User
    In the AM I continued through Exodus with 28:1–2, "The Priesthood of the Lord." My two points were: 1. A Priesthood of the People (v. 1), and 2. A Priesthood Distinct from the People (v. 2). In point one I spoke of the doctrines and uses of the text in terms of God's using the ministry of sinful men to accomplish his purposes. Yet the text speaks of the ceremonial holiness of the priests in their clothing, so it ultimately leads us to a great priest who is without sin, Jesus.

Tonight I am continuing through the Larger Catechism, preaching on Genesis 1:26–31, with the theme of "God's Work in Creating Man" (Q&A 17).
    Rev. Daniel R. Hyde, Th.M.
    Pastor, [URL="http://www.oceansideurc.org/"]Oceanside United Reformed Church[/URL], Carlsbad/Oceanside, California
    [URL="http://www.meetthepuritans.com/"]http://www.meetthepuritans.com/[/URL]

nicnap is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    Psalm 69. The right use of imprecatory Psalms, and when and how Christians are to pray imprecatory prayers.
    soli Deo gloria!
    ~Nicholas~
    Pastor, Boyce Memorial ARP, Kings Mountain, NC. (Sermons Page) GPTS Alumnus
    Christians are like snow covered dung; it is the purity of the covering which the Father sees. -Luther-
    There is nothing more ugly than a Christian orthodoxy without understanding or without compassion.
    -Francis Schaeffer-

Scott1 is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    The Ninth Commandment, with application from the story of Ananias and Sapphira (Acts 5).
    Scott
    PCA
    North Carolina

Post Tenebras Lux; "And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever." - Revelation 11:15

Contra_Mundum is offline. Pilgrim, Alien, Stranger
    Proverbs 13:12-19 Ethically Examining Earthly Gain - 2

Philippians 3:1-7 We Are the Circumcision
    Rev. Bruce G. Buchanan
    ChainOLakes Presbyterian Church, CentralLake, MI

Made both Lord and Christ--Jesus, the Destroyer
    Acts 2:36 - 1 Cor. 10:9-10 & 15:22-26 - Hebrews 2:9-15 - 1 John 3:8 - James 4:12

When posting friends, kindly bear those words of earthly wisdom in mind:

Oh, that God the gift would give us
    To see ourselves as others see us.
    --Robert Burns, 1786 (modernized) ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions? -- Sermons

Dearly Bought is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Morning Worship

Sermon Title: "Execution of Egypt's Firstborn, Exodus of God's Firstborn"
    Text: Exodus 11:1-10, 12:29-42
    Outline:
    1. Jehovah is the sovereign judge over all the hearts of Egypt
    2. Jehovah is the sovereign savior of all the hosts of Israel

Evening Worship

Sermon Title: "A Hard Lesson in Humility"
    Text: James 4:1-17
    Outline:
    1. God opposes the proud who are ruled by self
    2. God gives grace to the humble
    Bryan Peters
    Trinity Presbyterian Reformed Church
    Student of Theology Under Care of the Presbyterian Reformed Church
    Johnston, Iowa

The true visible church, where God's ordinances are set up as he hath appointed,
    where his word is purely preached, is the most beautiful thing under heaven,
    and there is God's glory set forth and manifested more clearly than in all the Lord's handiwork beside in heaven or earth.
    ~David Dickson~

blhowes is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Today's sermon was about the Prodigal Son in Luke 15. I particularly liked the point he made about it being a picture of our salvation.

When the prodigal son came to his senses, there were 3 things he planned to say to his father:

1. Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee,
    2. And am no more worthy to be called thy son:
    3. Make me as one of thy hired servants.

When he arrived he only said 2 of the 3 things:

1. Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight,
    2. And am no more worthy to be called thy son.

Before he could say the third thing, his father spoke to his servants to bring the robe, etc.

Salvation is all of grace, there are no works done on our part to earn salvation.
    B.Howes
    Massachusetts

Houchens is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Acts 9:1-6
    The Life of Saul...Prior to conversion, during conversion, and the Transforming power of Christ, through God's sovereignty, and graciousness.
    Seeking Godly Wisdom,

Melissa DiBiase, Beloved Wife of Louis(louis_jp)
    Louisville, Ky

Member of Midlane Park Presbyterian (ARP)

Jesus is my friend is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    My pastor preached in John 1 which I completely missed as my boy had a complete meltdown during service so I took him home and allowed my wife to worship without interruption,I also sadly missed my little girl singing today for the first time,but did capture it on video she is in the front row Pink dress/belt I am so proud of her and I love her so much!
    Brian
    Reformed Baptist
    Massachusetts

Houchens is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    You should be so proud, Brian. She is so cute, and intently paying attention. Thank God for "video."
    Seeking Godly Wisdom,

Melissa DiBiase, Beloved Wife of Louis(louis_jp)
    Louisville, Ky

Member of Midlane Park Presbyterian (ARP)

Wannabee is offline. Obi Wan Kenobi
    Preached on the shield of faith this morning

Watched Paul Washer in KY this evening.
    For the Glory of our King,
    Joe Johnson
    Slave of Christ, husband, father, grandfather and TMS graduate. Personal website - SoundLife.org
    I do not know, and I do not say, that a person cannot believe in Revelation and in evolution, too, for a man may believe that which is infinitely wise and also that which is only asinine. ~ CHS

TimV is offline. Puritanboard Botanist
    About mana and quail, and the needlessness and sinfulness of grumbling. Contentment being a central theme of the mature Christian life.
    Tim Vaughan
    Member, Redeemer Presbyterian, OPC,
    Santa Maria
    California

ADKing is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Sermons Mark 9.14-29

Sermons Job 2.7-10
    Adam King
    Reformed Presbyterian Church
    Wichita, KS