Meditating on the Preached Word discuss Sermons for 4/5/2009 in the Preaching forums; This thread is for discussing the sermons for April 5, 2009. Please add to it with comments about what you have preached on, or what ...

fredtgreco is offline. Vanilla Westminsterian

Sermons for 4/5/2009

This thread is for discussing the sermons for April 5, 2009. Please add to it with comments about what you have preached on, or what your pastor preached on.

Lord willing, I will be starting the book of Philippians, and will preach on Philippians 1:1-2, Blueprint for the Church. For Sunday school, I will continue my class on the Holy Spirit (week 5 now) with a lesson on The Holy Spirit and Regeneration. In the evening, I will preach on Esther 5.
    Fred Greco
    Senior Pastor, Christ Church PCA (Katy, TX)
    Christ Church Blog

"The heart is the main thing in true religion...It is the hinge and turning-point in the condition of man's soul. If the heart is alive to God and quickened by the Spirit, the man is a living Christian. If the heart is dead and has not the Spirit, the man is dead before God." (J.C. Ryle)

ww
    ww is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Can't wait to hear what Sermon will be read tomorrow as we do not have any Ordained Elders as of yet since we are a Mission. Looking forward with anticipation to the arrival of our NEW organizing Pastor in May.
    ww

Rev. Todd Ruddell is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    I plan to preach on "A Surpassing Righteousness" from Matthew 5.20 in the morning, and in the afternoon, on the Covenant of Grace seen in the Old Testament in the Prophesies of the OT. (Galatians 3.15-18)
    Rev. Todd Ruddell
    Pastor, Christ Covenant Reformed Presbyterian Church (RPCGA)
    Wylie, TX (DFW Metroplex)
    www.christcovenantrpc.org

Our best marks can contribute nothing to our justification, ...that is proper to faith. Faith cannot lodge in the soul alone, and without other graces; yet faith alone justifies before God.--G. Gillespie

N. Eshelman is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    I am preaching on John 6:67-69. "To whom shall we go?" In the afternoon I will be preaching on Hebrews 12:25-29 with emphasis on Larger Catechism QA 175 as a 'Reflection on the Lord's Supper'.

Both will be posted on SermonAudio.com - Los Angeles Reformed Presbyterian Church

Contra_Mundum is offline. Pilgrim, Alien, Stranger
    I too am preaching Philippians 1:1-2 (pm). Yoiks.

Also Prov.5 (am).

Youth S.S., Heidelberg LD 21
    Rev. Bruce G. Buchanan
    ChainOLakes Presbyterian Church, CentralLake, MI

Made both Lord and Christ--Jesus, the Destroyer
    Acts 2:36 - 1 Cor. 10:9-10 & 15:22-26 - Hebrews 2:9-15 - 1 John 3:8 - James 4:12

When posting friends, kindly bear those words of earthly wisdom in mind:

Oh, that God the gift would give us
    To see ourselves as others see us.
    --Robert Burns, 1786 (modernized) ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions? -- Sermons

Herald is offline. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Contra_Mundum View Post
    I too am preaching Philippians 1:1-2 (pm). Yoiks.

Also Prov.5 (am).

Youth S.S., Heidelberg LD 21
    Bruce, that's all? I'm gonna start calling you "Half-day."
    Bill Brown
    Elder
    Grace Baptist Church
    Student at Midwest Center for Theological Studies

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

Whitefield is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Last week: Colossians 1:1-8
    This week: Colossians 1:9-14
    Lance G. Marshall
    Pastor
    New Albany, Indiana

Soli Deo Gloria

This morning continuing in chapter 16 of 1689 LBC "Good Works" for Sunday school.
    Bill Brown
    Elder
    Grace Baptist Church

Curt is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    As we continue in our series in Hebrews, I am preaching this morning on Hebrews 2:10-18 regarding Christ's rescue mission. In the evening I am continuing to work through Titus.
    Curt Lovelace
    Director, Lifework Forum
    Somewhere in New England, USA

Attending New Boston Baptist Church, New Boston NH

webpage at JCurtisLovelace.com
    Author: Children in Church: Nurturing Hearts of Worship
    http://www.childreninchurch.com

dannyhyde is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    AM: Continuing through Exodus with 22:1–17, "The Laws for Restitution."

PM: Beginning a catechetical series through the Westminster Larger Catechism with 1 Peter 2:9 and Q&A 1, "Why Do I Exist?"
    Rev. Daniel R. Hyde, Th.M.
    Pastor, [URL="http://www.oceansideurc.org/"]Oceanside United Reformed Church[/URL], Carlsbad/Oceanside, California
    [URL="http://www.meetthepuritans.com/"]http://www.meetthepuritans.com/[/URL]

cpomann is offline. Puritanboard Freshman

God is God!

While not often called upon, I do have the opportunity to address our congregation tonight. I don't title my opportunities. I will be introducing initially various scriptures that proclaim that God is God and there is no other, leading into Isa 44 and idols.
    Thomas Mann
    Deacon, Community Baptist Church
    Coleman, Texas

KMK
    KMK is offline. Moderator
    Luke 1:50 And his mercy [is] on them that fear him from generation to generation.

"Mary's Magnificent Message of Mercy" (I know, I know, but sometimes the alliteration is so good I can't help myself.)

I. The message of mercy
    II. The reality of misery
    III. The relief in Jesus Christ

Village Community Church of Wrightwood

Transformation Ministries

"Preparing a sermon is like cooking a meal. You need pots and pans and utensils, but you don't bring them out to the table where people are eating." Derek Thomas

Poimen is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyhyde View Post
    PM: Beginning a catechetical series through the Westminster Larger Catechism with 1 Peter 2:9 and Q&A 1, "Why Do I Exist?"
    Traitor.
    Rev. Daniel Kok
    Pastor in the St. Lawrence Presbytery of the RPCNA
    Leduc, Alberta CANADA

"What sort of pledge and how great is this of love towards us! Christ lives for us not for himself!"
    John Calvin, Commentary on the Hebrews (7:25)

N. Eshelman is offline. Puritanboard Senior

Good for you, Danny! I love Reformed Ecumenicals!

Backwoods Presbyterian is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Blog Entries
    My pastor preached on Mark 11 (and by proxy Isaiah 50)
    Rev. Benjamin P. Glaser, M. Div, ARP
    Pastor, Ellisville Presbyterian Church, ARP
    Ellisville, Mississippi

‎‎"Ministers of the Gospel, when dispensing the truths of God, must preach home to their own souls, as well as unto others. Sir's, we do not deliver truths or doctrines to you, wherein we ourselves have no manner of concern. No, our own souls are at the stake, and shall either perish or be saved eternally, as we receive or reject these precious truths which we deliver unto you. And truly, it can never be expected that we will apply the truths of God with any warmth or liveliness unto others, unless we first make a warm application thereof to our own souls. And if we do not feed upon these doctrines, and practise these duties, which we deliver to and inculcate upon you, though we preach unto others, we ourselves are but castaways." -- Ebenezer Erskine, "The Assurance of Faith", pg. 8

Deo Vindice

Marrow Man is offline. Drunk with Powder
    I preached on the Bread of Life passage this morning: John 6:30-36. We also celebrated the Lord's Supper.

And I'm not discontinuing the series to preach an "Easter" sermon next week. The next section speaks of the resurrection ("... and I will raise him up on the last day"), so we're just going to go with that.
    Tim Phillips
    Pastor, Midlane Park Presbyterian Church (ARP)
    Louisville, KY
    Husband of Scottish Lass
    Father of Grace Cameron Phillips
    My Blog: Gairney Bridge
    My Facebook/My Avatar

Grace Alone is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Our pastor is preaching through the gospel of John, and today the passage was John 3:1-15, the "born again" passage. It was wonderful, of course, learning once again that that we do not choose God, He chooses us and regenerates our hearts before we can begin to love and live for Him. We are in a relatively new church plant with most not being from a reformed background, so even these basic doctrines to us are new to many.

Our next passage will include John 3:16, but he also will not shift to an "Easter" sermon.
    Janis
    Christ Church ARP, NC
    "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved." Eph. 1:3-6 ESV

Marrow Man is offline. Drunk with Powder
    almost forgot: I'll be teaching on Galatians 1:6-10 this evening as I travel southward for the Burkesville Bible study.
    Tim Phillips
    Pastor, Midlane Park Presbyterian Church (ARP)
    Louisville, KY
    Husband of Scottish Lass
    Father of Grace Cameron Phillips
    My Blog: Gairney Bridge
    My Facebook/My Avatar

During Sunday school the subject of the Lord's Day was brought up. I enjoyed this dialog. Our membership does not have a confessional view of the Lord's Day, so teaching them about it is a work in progress. We have to crawl before we can walk, right? Baby steps today, but progress made. Praise God.
    Bill Brown
    Elder
    Grace Baptist Church

nicnap is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    Genesis 37 & 50: God's sovereignty in all of life...even evil, and how we are to rest in Him.
    soli Deo gloria!
    ~Nicholas~
    Pastor, Boyce Memorial ARP, Kings Mountain, NC. (SermonAudio) GPTS Alumnus
    Christians are like snow covered dung; it is the purity of the covering which the Father sees. -Luther-
    There is nothing more ugly than a Christian orthodoxy without understanding or without compassion.
    -Francis Schaeffer-

NaphtaliPress is offline. Administrator
    Blog Entries
    The pastor preached on Jeremiah 10:1-16, "Missing the King".
    Chris Coldwell, Lakewood Presbyterian Church (PCA), Dallas, Texas.
    • Naphtali Press: Presbyterian & Reformed Books
    • Westminster Letter Press
    The Confessional Presbyterian Journal
    The Blue Banner Archive
    Calvin in the Hands of the Philistines: Did Calvin Bowl on the Sabbath?
    The Regulative Principle: The Scriptures are the “only infallible rule of faith and practice, no rite or ceremony ought to have a place in the public worship of God, which is not warranted in Scripture, either by direct precept or example, or by good and sufficient inference” (Samuel Miller).
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Joining PB's Politics & Government Forum

Poimen is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    This morning: Matthew 26:36-46 "Jesus' Preparation for Death"

This afternoon: 1 Samuel 7; 1 Corinthians 1:22-31 - LD 6 "The Wisdom of God Given Redemption"
    Rev. Daniel Kok
    Pastor in the St. Lawrence Presbytery of the RPCNA
    Leduc, Alberta CANADA

"What sort of pledge and how great is this of love towards us! Christ lives for us not for himself!"
    John Calvin, Commentary on the Hebrews (7:25)

Beth Ellen Nagle is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    We are currently going through the book of Revelation and covered the letter to the church in Ephesus_Rev 2:1-7. Emphasis was on while having correct doctrine (orthodoxy) we must also have love. Often we can hammer out accurate doctrine in speaking to others all the while lacking a genuine love. This plays out in church discipline too where correction is to be done in meekness and humility. We need this while seeking to speak the truth to others. We can also have doctrinal accuracy but lack love towards God. This is played out in our love towards other in forgiveness of others as well as our being teachable by all means God would teach us, not just by those we admire. We are selectively teachable which lacks true humility in seeking integrity of understanding. I think I have ended up adding my own thoughts here too!

~Beth Ellen Nagle~
    Lakeside Church -Wales, WI (PCA)
    Married to John
    One wonderful daughter, Chaela Joelle

My work in digital art and photography: http://www.puritanboard.com/members/...ms-images.html

TimV is offline. Puritanboard Botanist
    The nature of Christ's Kingdom. He dwelt on conquering through persuasion.
    Tim Vaughan
    Member, Redeemer Presbyterian, OPC,
    Santa Maria
    California

Update:

Here is the outline from this morning's sermon on Philippians 1:1-2, "Blueprint for the Church":

I. People Changed by Christ
    A. Saints
    B. At Philippi
    C. In Christ

II. People Used by Christ
    A. Paul the Servant
    B. Overseers & Deacons
    C. All the Saints

III. People Caught Up in Christ
    A. Living by Grace
    B. Living for Christ
    C. Living in Unity
    Fred Greco
    Christ Church Blog

"The heart is the main thing in true religion...It is the hinge and turning-point in the condition of man's soul. If the heart is alive to God and quickened by the Spirit, the man is a living Christian. If the heart is dead and has not the Spirit, the man is dead before God." (J.C. Ryle)

ww
    ww is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Text: Heb 12:1-29

Sermon was by Robert Lotzer as read by an ordained RE in the OPC.

Didn't realize RE's weren't permitted to preach in the OPC but in any event the Sermon was regarding the Grace of God and how we have so many benefits from being in Christ why should we give them up for a meal like Esau who gave the Benefits of his Birthright for a Bowl of Lentil Soup. Why should we allow sexual immorality or anything take away the Blessings of being in Christ.

To begin Worship he read from the WSC Q 36

Q. 36. What are the benefits which in this life do accompany or flow from justification, adoption, and sanctification?

A. The benefits which in this life do accompany or flow from justification, adoption, and sanctification, are, assurance of God’s love,[100] peace of conscience,[101] joy in the Holy Ghost,[102] increase of grace,[103] and perseverance therein to the end.[104]
    ww

Michael Doyle is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    My Pastor preached from Romans 6:1-4 He preached on sanctification. Discussing the use of baptism in Christ and saying we are therefore identified in Christ.

The message was totally captivating and edifying. We had 1 adult baptism and the Lord`s supper as well. The Lord`s day was rich in grace for my family and I.
    Michael P Doyle
    Waukesha WI
    Member of http://www.cornerstone-pca.com/
    Attending http://www.lampseminary.org/

Matthias is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Blog Entries
    We continued our verse by verse study through Romans today. Finished chapter 7.
    Jeffrey Wilson
    Guisachan Fellowship Baptist Church
    London Baptist Confession of Faith 1644
    Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
    "If ever a monk got to heaven by monkery, I ought to have gotten there!" Martin Luther

Romans922 is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    Woah, what are you people doing on the PB on the Lord's Day???

I preached from Ephesians 2:1-3 (my first of two sermons on that) in the morning. I messed up and didn't hit the right button for recording. First time since I started recording...

Points for this were:
    I. You are Totally Depraved
    II. You Have a Great Savior

And then I preached from 1 Samuel 23:1-29 in the evening.

Points for this were:
    I. Be Dependent on the Lord: He Brings Encouragement
    II. Be Dependent on the Lord: He Brings Deliverance and Escape
    III. Be Dependent on the Lord: He Brings Comfort and Confidence
    Elder Andrew Barnes (PCA)
    Christ Presbyterian Church (Kansas City, MO)
    Sermon Audio
    Twitter

ColdSilverMoon is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Our sermon was on Revelation 19, and it was excellent - one of the most convicting and moving sermons I've heard in some time. The entire sermon unpacked the ramifications of God's desire to have a relationship with us that parallels human marriage. The three points in the sermon dealt with the 3 figures in the chapter:

I. The prostitute - the importance of understanding God's desire for intimacy with us also shows us how horrible our sin is to Him. Sin is referred to as "adulteries" in Chapter 19, and should help us understand that sin isn't merely breaking rules, it's effectively cheating on God. What we consider horrible betrayal in human marriage we do to God on a daily basis by not making Him our highest passion.

II. The Lamb - the only way for God to have the intimate relationship with us that He desires is through the spilled blood of Christ. Pastor Keller referred to Christ's miracle of turning water into wine, and how Jesus responded to Mary that His "hour had not yet come" when she approached Him. He says Christ was indicating that the ultimate, perfect wedding feast could only be possible through His death and resurrection.

III. The bride - in terms of practical application, we have to view marriage as a type of our relationship with God. It has a legal aspect (we're legally justified before God), it should be comprehensive and entail every part of our lives, and it should be deeply intimate.
    Mason
    Member, Redeemer Presbyterian Church (PCA) - though transferring soon to a church in FL
    Destin, FL

"Come now, and let us reason together," says the Lord, "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall be as wool." - Isaiah 1:18

jaybird0827 is offline. PuritanBoard Honor Roll
    Blog Entries
    Our pastor is preaching through the epistle of Paul to the Colossians.

The text was Colossians 4:1. He applied it not only to the workplace, but also to things like having someone come to do needed repairs on your home. Also appreciating and respecting people in all lawful callings.
    ~Jay~
    Husband of ENS, father of J II. | Indian Trail, NC
    disabled - cancer
    Communicant Member, Precentor | Presbyterian Reformed Church of Charlotte, NC | Presbyterian Reformed Church

jambo is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    In the morning one of our young people led and preached in a family service about Palm Sunday.

I was preaching at night on Ro 3.21-26 on the subject of justification. Halfway through the sermon my mobile phone started ringing. The only time I ever bring my phone to church is if I am involved in the service when I bring it just in case the car breaks down en route to church. If I do bring it I always have it on silent and would you believe it, the one time I forget is the one time it rings and its the time I am preaching.
    Stuart
    Finaghy Baptist, Belfast, UK
    In Him the fulness of the Godhead dwells in bodily form and in Him you are complete (Col 2.9-10)

Quote Originally Posted by Poimen View Post
    Traitor.
    Ha ha! I've preached through the Heidelberg three times, the Belgic twice, and the Canons once. It's time to use something else!
    Pastor, [URL="http://www.oceansideurc.org/"]Oceanside United Reformed Church[/URL], Carlsbad/Oceanside, California

Quote Originally Posted by Poimen View Post
    Traitor.
    Ha ha! I've preached through the Heidelberg three times, the Belgic twice, and the Canons once. It's time to use something else!
    Like a book of the Bible? (he says in jest)
    Fred Greco
    Christ Church Blog

Quote Originally Posted by nleshelman View Post

Good for you, Danny! I love Reformed Ecumenicals!
    It should be fun as I love the LC. One of my parishioners said after the service that he was encouraged by the fact that he could see that I "enjoyed" and "delighted" in preaching on Q&A 1 . . .