Paedo-Baptism Answers discuss Preparing a preschooler for his baptism in the Baptism forums; In the next couple of weeks, my husband and I will take our vows of membership in a PCA church. We've been indy-fundy-Baptists our whole ...

queenknitter is offline. Puritanboard Freshman

Preparing a preschooler for his baptism

In the next couple of weeks, my husband and I will take our vows of membership in a PCA church. We've been indy-fundy-Baptists our whole lives, so this is a new experience for us (even taking vows for membership!). And we want to baptize our sons -- 4.5 years and 2 years old.

The two-year-old is more infant than not, so I'm not that concerned about his understanding. The 4.5 yo, however, is inquisitive. We're reviewing the story of Christ's baptism, and we have *one* baby friend's baptism on video. But do you all have any other suggestions? Books? Any clues? Anybody have a video of a child getting baptized?

Thanks.

C
    Camille
    Member, Mitchell Road Presbyterian, PCA
    Taylors, SC

Seb
    Seb is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    We were in a somewhat similar situation last year with our 3.5 yo daughter. I deferred to experience and asked my pastor to discuss it with her. I was doing good to understand paedo-baptism from my (the parent's) perspective, I struggled with how to explain it to her properly.

The way it worked out, I think it was the best thing I could have done.
    Steve Butts
    Shepherding Elder - Bradenton CRCNA - Bradenton, Florida
    (A conservative member in a moderate congregation)

"Turning away to false Theology is equal to turning away to false gods" — Francis Schaeffer (Death in the City)

Brother John is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Congratulations
    Praise God that your children are getting the sign of the covenant.

We have videos of both our sons if yall would like to see them. You can also get one of the best books on the subject: "The Impotent Argument Against Biblical Baptism" by W.A. Mackay, Zion Publishing.

You can get the book at Zion Presbyterian Church

John
    PCA
    Greenville, SC

Semper Reformanda ~ “The church is reformed and always being reformed according to the Word of God.”

“Preach the gospel, die, and be forgotten.” ~ Count Nicolaus von Zinzendorf (1700–1760)

Contra_Mundum is offline. Pilgrim, Alien, Stranger
    I would explain simply the actions of the pastor, that this is God's way of marking his people, with a little water.

And then I would ask him to watch quietly as his little brother is baptized, and then patiently submit to it himself. You might just splash him with water yourself tonight to let his see it is "not scary".

Then talk about it after church.
    Rev. Bruce G. Buchanan
    ChainOLakes Presbyterian Church, CentralLake, MI

Made both Lord and Christ--Jesus, the Destroyer
    Acts 2:36 - 1 Cor. 10:9-10 & 15:22-26 - Hebrews 2:9-15 - 1 John 3:8 - James 4:12

When posting friends, kindly bear those words of earthly wisdom in mind:

Oh, that God the gift would give us
    To see ourselves as others see us.
    --Robert Burns, 1786 (modernized) ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions? -- Sermons

Semper Fidelis is offline. 2 Timothy 2:24-25
    Blog Entries
    You could also explain that the water is God's way of promising them that He will save them if they trust in Jesus.
    Rich
    Ruling Elder, Licentiate, Under Care, Hope of Christ Church (PCA), Northern VA
    Student, New Geneva Theological Seminary

WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to build and promote your web site.
    SoliDeoGloria.com - A Community for Reformed Thought and Discussion

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

queenknitter is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Hmm. . . . okay, okay. Good stuff. I think the splashing of water might be a good thing so he understands. I know I practiced getting baptized before my credobaptism. . . . but that's a little more intense -- going UNDER and all.

I'd like him to see that video, John, if you don't mind. It'd be good, I think, for him to see one *at church* too. Gotta figure that one out.

Thanks you all!!

C
    Camille
    Member, Mitchell Road Presbyterian, PCA
    Taylors, SC