See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

"The Wading Pool" - Questions from the Newly Reformed discuss What exactly is allowed and not allowed on the Sabbath in the Information and Introductions forums; I am new to the whole sabbath thing and I am wondering what exactly is allowed and not allowed to be done on the Sabbath. ...

Weston Stoler is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore

What exactly is allowed and not allowed on the Sabbath

I am new to the whole sabbath thing and I am wondering what exactly is allowed and not allowed to be done on the Sabbath. I am trying to get my work to comply (with semi-acceptable results) and I want to know what I shouldn't be doing on the sabbath.
    Only the death of Christ can free us from our own depravity!
    Weston Stoler
    Presbyterian (PCA!)
    Decatur, Alabama

Blog Entries
    Type the word "sabbath" in the search field above and you will have more material than you'll care to read. This subject has been thoroughly discussed here on the PB.
    "Is this not a brand plucked from the fire? - Zechariah 3:2

James Helbert, Wytheville, VA
    Providence Reformed Presbyterian Church, RPCUS

TheBibleAlone.com / The Edinburgh Inn

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

VictorBravo is offline. Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Weston, a good place to start is to think about what you should do on the Lord's Day. If you focus on the many blessings that come with a full Lord's Day, your day will be full enough without worrying about what you can't do.

What I am getting at is that we should look forward to the Lord's Day as a goal and a beacon, rather than looking at all things we shouldn't be doing. Trying to avoid doing a list of things always reminds me of trying to drive by looking in the rear-view mirror. You are focusing on where you've been and what you've done, and not on the goal: worship of our Lord.

So, generally speaking, lay your daily cares aside for the day. Focus on worship, on Scripture, on prayer, on fellowship with others in the Lord. Relax from worrying about the world.

The general principles in the Shorter Catechism are helpful:

Q. 60. How is the sabbath to be sanctified?

A. The sabbath is to be sanctified by a holy resting all that day, even from such worldly employments and recreations as are lawful on other days;[145] and spending the whole time in the public and private exercises of God’s worship,[146] except so much as is to be taken up in the works of necessity and mercy.

Note that worldly employments and recreations are lawful, but they are reserved for all the other days. That's a fairly simple thing, and it's not at all hard to realize what is a worldly employment or recreation. There really is no need for line drawing: If it is something you normally do during the week, it is probably something to set aside. Of course, the works of necessity and mercy also fall into a fairly broad category.

My point is to keep the big picture in mind. The focus of the Lord's Day is worship, public and private. That is very broad. It includes attending the stated services, fellowship with believers, personal time praying and reading Scripture, perhaps reading good works by Christian authors, perhaps spending time contemplating the blessings God has given you. The things one can properly do on the Sabbath would fill it completely.

Anything that distracts us from these things is properly set for another day.

And, by the way, that includes spending too much time trying to figure out what is proper and not proper. If you spend a significant portion of the Lord's Day agonizing or rationalizing whether you can do a particular thing, you have spent that time distracted from your purpose, which is to worship God.
    R. Victor Bottomly
    Port Cities Reformed Baptist Church, Lewiston ID

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- How to access Politics and Government forum
    3 member(s) found this post helpful.

Weston Stoler is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    These are good explanations guys. Thanks. I will definatly take this in consideration. I should focus more on what I should be doing and I am sure what I shouldn't being doing will fall into place.
    Only the death of Christ can free us from our own depravity!
    Weston Stoler
    Presbyterian (PCA!)
    Decatur, Alabama

VictorBravo is offline. Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Weston Stoler View Post
    I should focus more on what I should be doing and I am sure what I shouldn't being doing will fall into place.
    Right, and that is a good approach. But I don't want to say that you should forget about noting what amounts to sinful things on the Lord's Day. It's just that it should not be your primary focus.

It's like guardrails. You should always know where they are, but it doesn't do you much good to spend all your time staring at them.

So, during the week, it is a good thing to set aside some time reflecting upon what you tend to habitually do that distracts you from worship. That is an exercise that is easily forgotten.
    R. Victor Bottomly
    Port Cities Reformed Baptist Church, Lewiston ID

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- How to access Politics and Government forum
    1 member(s) found this post helpful.