Puritan Literature discuss Two new titles from the Northampton Press in the The Literary Forum forums; Folks, I'm glad to announce two new titles from the Northampton Press. 1. "The Christian on the Mount," is Thomas Watson's treatise on Christian meditation. ...

Don Kistler is offline. Puritanboard Freshman

Two new titles from the Northampton Press

Folks, I'm glad to announce two new titles from the Northampton Press.

1. "The Christian on the Mount," is Thomas Watson's treatise on Christian meditation. It is not in any current work in print by Watson, and has, in fact, been out of print since the early 1800's. I've retypeset and edited it for better readability.

This 132 page hardback book will retail for $15, but is being offered at the pre-publication price of $10 until March 1, plus $5 postage.

2. "Light and Heat: The Puritan View of the Pulpit" is a terrific look at what made Puritan preaching so effective, and, by comparison, why modern preaching is so paltry. The second part of this book is "The Focus of the Gospel in Puritan Preaching," and is a comparison of modern evangelical methods with Puritan preaching.

This is the best book on the subject of Puritan preaching I've read. This 192 page hardback book will retail for $15, but also can be purchased until March 1 for $10, plus $5 postage.

If you purchase both books together, the postage for both is only $5.

For more information, go to www.northamptonpress.org
    Dr. Don Kistler

Ivan is offline. Pastor
    I'm heading to your website, brother.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]Ivan Schoen ~ [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]The Church in [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]Poplar Grove, IL[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black]=================================[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [LEFT][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black]"As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives." ~ Henry David Thoreau[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black][/LEFT]
    [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Rev. Todd Ruddell is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Thanks for your labors, Dr. Don!
    Rev. Todd Ruddell
    Pastor, Christ Covenant Reformed Presbyterian Church (RPCGA)
    Wylie, TX (DFW Metroplex)
    www.christcovenantrpc.org

Our best marks can contribute nothing to our justification, ...that is proper to faith. Faith cannot lodge in the soul alone, and without other graces; yet faith alone justifies before God.--G. Gillespie

Backwoods Presbyterian is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Blog Entries
    to the above...
    Rev. Benjamin P. Glaser, M. Div, ARP
    Pastor, Ellisville Presbyterian Church, ARP
    Ellisville, Mississippi

‎‎"Ministers of the Gospel, when dispensing the truths of God, must preach home to their own souls, as well as unto others. Sir's, we do not deliver truths or doctrines to you, wherein we ourselves have no manner of concern. No, our own souls are at the stake, and shall either perish or be saved eternally, as we receive or reject these precious truths which we deliver unto you. And truly, it can never be expected that we will apply the truths of God with any warmth or liveliness unto others, unless we first make a warm application thereof to our own souls. And if we do not feed upon these doctrines, and practise these duties, which we deliver to and inculcate upon you, though we preach unto others, we ourselves are but castaways." -- Ebenezer Erskine, "The Assurance of Faith", pg. 8

Deo Vindice

Quickened is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Good package deal! Ordered mine!
    Brian E
    Member Falls OPC
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Quote Originally Posted by Psalm 28:7
    The Lord is my Strength and my shield; in Him my heart trusts, and I am helped; my heart exults, and with my song i give thanks to Him.

nicnap is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    to the
    soli Deo gloria!
    ~Nicholas~
    Pastor, Boyce Memorial ARP, Kings Mountain, NC. (Sermons Page) GPTS Alumnus
    Christians are like snow covered dung; it is the purity of the covering which the Father sees. -Luther-
    There is nothing more ugly than a Christian orthodoxy without understanding or without compassion.
    -Francis Schaeffer-

Pilgrim72 is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Blog Entries
    Thank you so much!!! I've been waiting for the Watson book!
    Alex - Orange County, CA - PCA

"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but
    Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by
    faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
    Galatians 2:20

Manton - "The sovereign dominion of God is a great prop to our faith."

Don Kistler is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Here's an endorsement from Joel Beeke on the Watson book on meditation:

"The Puritans were thoroughly Reformed, consistent, and persistent in using 'the art of meditation' as an important spiritual discipline and half-way house between the reading of Scripture and prayer. More than forty Puritans wrote books on the subject. Today we have reaped the fruits of not understanding that a non-meditative, mindless Christianity soon produces a spineless Christianity. Thomas Watson's guide for meditation is one of the best and briefest on the subject. If you wish to transform your spiritual disciplines for the better, read, re-read, and then put into practice this precious little book."
    --Dr. Joel R. Beeke, Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary, Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Dr. Don Kistler

PresbyDane is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    I got to have those
    Martin - Reformed
    Husband to the most godly, honorable and loyal wife Line
    Father of Josva David and Aron Hoseas
    Skive Bykirke - evangelisk luthersk frimenighed
    Webpage www.5solas.dk
    Free Online Reformed Seminary - http://www.tnars.net
    Soli Deo Gloria

Ivan is offline. Pastor
    *bump*

Because it's a great offer on great books.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]Ivan Schoen ~ [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]The Church in [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]Poplar Grove, IL[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black]=================================[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [LEFT][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black]"As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives." ~ Henry David Thoreau[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black][/LEFT]
    [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

caoclan is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Thanks for the other works you have collected as well. I recently purchased Sermons on the Lord's Supper and am enjoying it very much.
    Sean Caouette
    Independent Presbyterian Church (PCA)
    Memphis, Tennessee

Pilgrim72 is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Blog Entries
    I should say, I received my book from Dr. Kistler. And it's a beautiful book.
    I first read this work on Google Books. But to read it again with book in hand is even more special.
    The topic of Christian Meditation is very important to me. I hope to be able to more and more incorporate this practice in my life.
    Alex - Orange County, CA - PCA

"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but
    Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by
    faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
    Galatians 2:20

Manton - "The sovereign dominion of God is a great prop to our faith."

Puritan Sailor is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Kistler View Post
    a non-meditative, mindless Christianity soon produces a spineless Christianity.
    Excellent quote!
    Patrick
    MDiv, RTS Jackson
    Pastor, Grace Presbyterian Church (OPC), Lisbon, NY

"He does well, that discourses of Christ; but he does infinitely better, that by experimental knowledge, feeds and lives on Christ." Thomas Brooks.
    "Let us not please ourselves that we have deep understandings, but let us shew our understandings by our practice." Richard Sibbes