Church Order discuss What kind of wine to buy for communion and why? in the The Church forums; For those of you who know what wine is served at your church, what are your opinions of that particular variety? I personally purchase the ...

Jeff_Bartel is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate

What kind of wine to buy for communion and why?

For those of you who know what wine is served at your church, what are your opinions of that particular variety? I personally purchase the wine for our communion, and have been buying Chateau Ste. Michelle Melot.

I know that this is subjective, and up to personal taste to a large degree, but what are your favorites wines to use, and why? I am looking to provide the best variety for the purpose of the Lord's supper.

Please only those who use wine in communion participate. There is another thread on the wine vs. grape juice!

fredtgreco is offline. Vanilla Westminsterian
    I would not go for variety, but for consistency. That is what we do.
    Fred Greco
    Senior Pastor, Christ Church PCA (Katy, TX)
    Christ Church Blog

"The heart is the main thing in true religion...It is the hinge and turning-point in the condition of man's soul. If the heart is alive to God and quickened by the Spirit, the man is a living Christian. If the heart is dead and has not the Spirit, the man is dead before God." (J.C. Ryle)

Backwoods Presbyterian is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Blog Entries
    Would it be unwise to use a white wine?

But seriously my home church usually purchase a red wine from a local winery.
    Rev. Benjamin P. Glaser, M. Div, ARP
    Pastor, Ellisville Presbyterian Church, ARP
    Ellisville, Mississippi

‎‎"Ministers of the Gospel, when dispensing the truths of God, must preach home to their own souls, as well as unto others. Sir's, we do not deliver truths or doctrines to you, wherein we ourselves have no manner of concern. No, our own souls are at the stake, and shall either perish or be saved eternally, as we receive or reject these precious truths which we deliver unto you. And truly, it can never be expected that we will apply the truths of God with any warmth or liveliness unto others, unless we first make a warm application thereof to our own souls. And if we do not feed upon these doctrines, and practise these duties, which we deliver to and inculcate upon you, though we preach unto others, we ourselves are but castaways." -- Ebenezer Erskine, "The Assurance of Faith", pg. 8

Deo Vindice

Thanks Fred. I should have phrased my OP better. I meant what TYPE of wine do you use, Merlot, kosher wine, etc. We don't switch it up every week, but I am new to providing the wine (never had to think about it before), so I was inquiring as to what other churches use, and why (if there is a reason) you use that particular kind.

I agree, consistency is best, but first one has to have that "one" to stick with.

NaphtaliPress is offline. Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I am not in charge of the wine but if I were I would avoid a heavy red. Merlot is medium I think? I would go for a Pinot Noir. I like Kendall-Jackson but certainly there are some less expensive; and I suppose a church could buy in bulk for a discount?
    Chris Coldwell, Lakewood Presbyterian Church (PCA), Dallas, Texas.
    • Naphtali Press: Presbyterian & Reformed Books
    • Westminster Letter Press
    The Confessional Presbyterian Journal
    The Blue Banner Archive
    Calvin in the Hands of the Philistines: Did Calvin Bowl on the Sabbath?
    The Regulative Principle: The Scriptures are the “only infallible rule of faith and practice, no rite or ceremony ought to have a place in the public worship of God, which is not warranted in Scripture, either by direct precept or example, or by good and sufficient inference” (Samuel Miller).
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Joining PB's Politics & Government Forum

Quote Originally Posted by NaphtaliPress View Post
    I am not in charge of the wine but if I were I would avoid a heavy red. Merlot is medium I think? I would go for a Pinot Noir. I like Kendall-Jackson but certainly there are some less expensive; and I suppose a church could buy in bulk for a discount?
    Merlot is generally a medium (sometimes heavy) red. Pinot Noirs a generally pretty light. I'm sure we could get bulk for a discount, but honestly we don't go through enough to do that. The wine would probably spoil before we could get through it all! I don't think our basement is dark/cool enough to properly store that amount of wine for the long haul.

Backwoods Presbyterian is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Blog Entries
    A somewhat off-topic question but exactly how many communion cups does a bottle of wine fill?
    Rev. Benjamin P. Glaser, M. Div, ARP
    Pastor, Ellisville Presbyterian Church, ARP
    Ellisville, Mississippi

‎‎"Ministers of the Gospel, when dispensing the truths of God, must preach home to their own souls, as well as unto others. Sir's, we do not deliver truths or doctrines to you, wherein we ourselves have no manner of concern. No, our own souls are at the stake, and shall either perish or be saved eternally, as we receive or reject these precious truths which we deliver unto you. And truly, it can never be expected that we will apply the truths of God with any warmth or liveliness unto others, unless we first make a warm application thereof to our own souls. And if we do not feed upon these doctrines, and practise these duties, which we deliver to and inculcate upon you, though we preach unto others, we ourselves are but castaways." -- Ebenezer Erskine, "The Assurance of Faith", pg. 8

Deo Vindice

Part of the inspiration for this thread was a different thread on unlevened bread a few years ago where I was taken to task by Fred and Matthew. This really helped sharpen my understanding that the elements are "common" elements of the time. I think we've found a decent bread (a light sourdough) that IMHO fits the description of "common." In that light, what would be a "common" wine be? Any old wine from the liquor store?

Quote Originally Posted by Backwoods Presbyterian View Post
    A somewhat off-topic question but exactly how many communion cups does a bottle of wine fill?
    Around 100

BobVigneault is offline. Bawberator
    You should serve a red wine with a leavened dark bread like rye or pumpernickel, for unleavened bread, white breads or crackers you can serve a white. If you will be multiplying loaves and fishes for 3 to 5 thousand people then a fruity white is good for off setting the fish.
    When it comes to havoc, I WREAK!
    Bob Vigneault
    Seventy And Fourteen (blog)
    The Heartbeat of Heaven (blog)
    Spiritual Warfare (blog)
    Member, Grace Evangelical Free Church (Reforming!), Afton, WI
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by BobVigneault View Post
    You should serve a red wine with a leavened dark bread like rye or pumpernickel, for unleavened bread, white breads or crackers you can serve a white. If you will be multiplying loaves and fishes for 3 to 5 thousand people then a fruity white is good for off setting the fish.
    Thanks Bob, I knew I could count on you!

DMcFadden is offline. Meum cerebrum nocet
    Dennis E. McFadden, Ex Mainline Baptist (in Remission)
    Atherton Baptist Homes, Alhambra, CA, President/CEO, Retired
    Emmanuel Lutheran Church, LCMS

Ivan is offline. Pastor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Bartel View Post
    In that light, what would be a "common" wine be? Any old wine from the liquor store?
    I'd find the least expensive.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]Ivan Schoen ~ [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]The Church in [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]Poplar Grove, IL[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black]=================================[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [LEFT][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black]"As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives." ~ Henry David Thoreau[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black][/LEFT]
    [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

KMK
    KMK is offline. Moderator
    "Two buck Chuck" from Trader Joes! (Merlot)

Village Community Church of Wrightwood

Transformation Ministries

"Preparing a sermon is like cooking a meal. You need pots and pans and utensils, but you don't bring them out to the table where people are eating." Derek Thomas

shackleton is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    I have found that any sort of Concord wine to be good. I think these might even be made just for that purpose. There are a lot of wineries in Missouri and some of them are really good but probably only available here locally. I find myself drinking them at home...is this sacrilegious?
    Erick Bohndorf, Risen Savior, Lutheran
    http://qayaqtraveler.blogspot.com/

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pr...90&ref=profile
    Here is what I have seen to be good and fitting: to eat, to drink and enjoy oneself in all one’s labor in which he toils under the sun during the few years of his life which God has given him; for this is his reward. Ecclesiastes

VictorBravo is offline. Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shackleton View Post
    I have found that any sort of Concord wine to be good. I think these might even be made just for that purpose. There are a lot of wineries in Missouri and some of them are really good but probably only available here locally. I find myself drinking them at home...is this sacrilegious?
    Not sacrilegious at all. But check the bottle. A lot of the kosher Concords have added sugar, which moves them into the realm of soft drink, in my view.
    R. Victor Bottomly
    Port Cities Reformed Baptist Church, Lewiston ID

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- How to access Politics and Government forum

shackleton is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    I have found only one by Stone Hill Winery ( a local winery) that does not contain added sugar and it has a phenomenal, and clean, taste but it has been hard to find any others that do not have added sugar.
    Erick Bohndorf, Risen Savior, Lutheran
    http://qayaqtraveler.blogspot.com/

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pr...90&ref=profile
    Here is what I have seen to be good and fitting: to eat, to drink and enjoy oneself in all one’s labor in which he toils under the sun during the few years of his life which God has given him; for this is his reward. Ecclesiastes

This stuff says it will keep for up to a year after opened!

Theogenes is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Jeff,
    We use Mogen David's Concord Grape. It's sweeter than most wines but seems to be accepted by everybody in our church. We tried a Merlot once and got a number of complaints that it was too strong, so we went back to the Concord grape. It's relatively cheap too!
    Jim
    Jim
    An Elder, Harvest Reformed Church (RCUS),Minot, ND
    http://www.harvestreformedchurch.org/
    http://tbftgoggi.wordpress.com/
    http://www.sermonaudio.com/source_de...urceid=hrcrcus
    Upon a life I did not live; upon a death I did not die, Another's death, Another's life, I'd rest my soul eternally
    Omnia dicta fortiora,si dicta Latina
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

fredtgreco is offline. Vanilla Westminsterian
    Jeff,

As I said, once you pick a wine, stay with it. I would find a decent, moderately priced merlot (this is not a wine tasting!). You don't want it to be bad, but you also don't want people wondering about the bouquet, or palette, etc. They should be focusing on Christ, not the wine.

We use a moderate merlot at about $10-15 a bottle. I find Cabs too heavy, Pinot Noirs too light for communion.
    Fred Greco
    Senior Pastor, Christ Church PCA (Katy, TX)
    Christ Church Blog

"The heart is the main thing in true religion...It is the hinge and turning-point in the condition of man's soul. If the heart is alive to God and quickened by the Spirit, the man is a living Christian. If the heart is dead and has not the Spirit, the man is dead before God." (J.C. Ryle)

Thomas2007 is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    We use Oliver Winery Soft Red - which is just a simple table wine, but quite good. Its a semi-sweet wine made from concord grapes, but no added sugar. Best of all it's very inexpensive, about $ 5.00 at Sam's Club. We always keep a few bottles on hand at home, it's a great little wine that pares well with fruit, cheese or just by itself when one gets the hankering for a glass of wine.
    Thomas Weddle
    Member, Covenant Reformed Presbyterian Church
    Evansville, Indiana

BertMulder is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Personally, I would like a port....

But we use Mogen David (wretched stuff!), and as the congregation seems happy with that wine, consistory is not about to fix something that ain't broken.

(and port would get kinda expensive)
    Bert Mulder
    Elder of the First Protestant Reformed Church of Edmonton
    Edmonton Alberta Canada

ModernPuritan? is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    manshweitz because its kosher for passover- and Christ is our passover!

actually just because i happen to like the stuff..

etexas is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Chuckle!
    etexas, , Servant Of Christ, Saint Mary Magdalene.