Results 1 to 12 of 12

Church Office discuss Valid Ordinations in the The Church forums; What constitutes a valid ordination? What offices of the church require ordination? Considering that Baptists, Presbyterians and Lutherans are members of the PB, are the ...

  1. #1
    Herald's Avatar
    Herald is offline. Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    15,027

    Valid Ordinations

    What constitutes a valid ordination? What offices of the church require ordination? Considering that Baptists, Presbyterians and Lutherans are members of the PB, are the offices of all these churches worthy of ordination? If not, which office and denominations would not be considered to have valid ordinations? For the sake of discussion I am referring to denominations that hold to doctrines of grace.
    Bill Brown
    Elder
    Grace Baptist Church
    Student at Midwest Center for Theological Studies


    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

  2. #2
    larryjf's Avatar
    larryjf is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,204
    Blog Entries
    1
    This is an interesting question.

    In the first book of discipline adopted by the Church of Scotland by John Knox, there is no imposition to lay hands for ordination prescribed. It wasn't until the second book of discipline that it was added.

    Then i got to thinking, many of the early Reformers were ordained Catholic. I don't think they were required to be re-ordained
    Larry Bray
    Elder - Reformed Presbyterian Church of Boothwyn, PCA
    Boothwyn, PA - http://www.rpcb.org/
    Free Online Reformed Seminary - http://www.tnars.net
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Christian ritual costs nothing and is worth nothing. True Christian religion costs all that we have and is worth everything.

  3. #3
    Pergamum's Avatar
    Pergamum is offline. Ordinary Guy (TM)
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    14,901
    interesting....
    Pergamum


    "If a commission by an earthly king is considered a honor, how can a commission by a Heavenly King be considered a sacrifice?"
    -- David Livingstone

  4. #4
    Herald's Avatar
    Herald is offline. Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    15,027
    The motivation for this thread was from the relationship evangelism thread where more than one person (myself included) stated that the gospel is to be preached by an ordained minister. If we accept that requirement I want to know what is considered a lawful ordination? Additionally, would a Presbyterian recognize and Baptist ordination and vice versa?
    Bill Brown
    Elder
    Grace Baptist Church
    Student at Midwest Center for Theological Studies


    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

  5. #5
    larryjf's Avatar
    larryjf is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,204
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by BaptistInCrisis View Post
    The motivation for this thread was from the relationship evangelism thread where more than one person (myself included) stated that the gospel is to be preached by an ordained minister. If we accept that requirement I want to know what is considered a lawful ordination? Additionally, would a Presbyterian recognize and Baptist ordination and vice versa?
    Evangelizing to the lost is quite different from preaching to the flock. I would not think that one must be ordained to tell folks about the good news of Jesus.

    As to who is recognized within particular denominations, i think you would have to clarify what you mean by recognized. My church would recognize a Baptist minister as being a valid minister, but he would not be permitted to regularly preach at our church.
    Larry Bray
    Elder - Reformed Presbyterian Church of Boothwyn, PCA
    Boothwyn, PA - http://www.rpcb.org/
    Free Online Reformed Seminary - http://www.tnars.net
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Christian ritual costs nothing and is worth nothing. True Christian religion costs all that we have and is worth everything.

  6. #6
    NaphtaliPress's Avatar
    NaphtaliPress is offline. Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    17,735
    Blog Entries
    21
    Chris Coldwell, Lakewood Presbyterian Church (PCA), Dallas, Texas.
    • Naphtali Press: Presbyterian & Reformed Books
    • Westminster Letter Press
    The Confessional Presbyterian Journal
    The Blue Banner Archive
    Calvin in the Hands of the Philistines: Did Calvin Bowl on the Sabbath?
    The Regulative Principle: The Scriptures are the “only infallible rule of faith and practice, no rite or ceremony ought to have a place in the public worship of God, which is not warranted in Scripture, either by direct precept or example, or by good and sufficient inference” (Samuel Miller).
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Joining PB's Politics & Government Forum

  7. #7
    Zenas's Avatar
    Zenas is offline. Snow Miser
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,191
    Hmm, I know that I was ordained to be a deacon, but that's about it.
    The following users found this post helpful:



    Andrew
    Member, Independent Presbyterian Church (PCA)

  8. #8
    JBaldwin's Avatar
    JBaldwin is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,504
    In the churches to which I have belonged, in order to minister in that church as an elder or pastor, the individual had to receive ordination from that church. My poor brother in law was ordained in a Baptist church, in an evangelical free church and in a PCA church. All had their own ordination requirements. In the case of the evangelical free church, they did not recognize his former ordination at all. In the PCA church, though they recognized his ordination, he was not free to teach until he had received his licensure, and he was not allowed to baptise without ordination.
    J Baldwin
    Keowee Presbyterian Church, PCA
    Pickens, SC
    “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.” Luke 10:27

    Check Out My Blog: http://reflectjoy.blogspot.com/

  9. #9
    Herald's Avatar
    Herald is offline. Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    15,027
    Quote Originally Posted by NaphtaliPress View Post
    Chris, thank you. Matt's article is very informative.
    Bill Brown
    Elder
    Grace Baptist Church
    Student at Midwest Center for Theological Studies


    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

  10. #10
    Robert Truelove is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    409
    Sometimes it is important to back up and look at the big picture...

    Any view of this subject without first asking 'What is ordination?' is bound to lead to the wrong conclusions.

    I believe ordination is simply the church acknowledging Christ's prior calling and appointing a man into either the office of deacon or elder. This is acknowledged in different ways by different churches. One church may do this at the denominational level for some offices (presbytery) while others may do it at the local level.

    If a church is a true church, and they have, after their own fashion, acknowledged and set a man apart for office, I view the man duly appointed. That's not to say that the process may not be 'more or less pure', but in the end, I acknowledge the appointment.
    Robert Truelove
    Pastor
    Christ Reformed Church
    Lawrenceville, GA
    Reformed Baptist Blog

  11. #11
    DMcFadden's Avatar
    DMcFadden is offline. Meum cerebrum nocet
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    9,753
    Quote Originally Posted by prespastor View Post
    Sometimes it is important to back up and look at the big picture...

    Any view of this subject without first asking 'What is ordination?' is bound to lead to the wrong conclusions.

    I believe ordination is simply the church acknowledging Christ's prior calling and appointing a man into either the office of deacon or elder. This is acknowledged in different ways by different churches. One church may do this at the denominational level for some offices (presbytery) while others may do it at the local level.

    If a church is a true church, and they have, after their own fashion, acknowledged and set a man apart for office, I view the man duly appointed. That's not to say that the process may not be 'more or less pure', but in the end, I acknowledge the appointment.
    Dennis E. McFadden, Ex Mainline Baptist (in Remission)
    Atherton Baptist Homes, Alhambra, CA, President/CEO
    Emmanuel Lutheran Church, LCMS

    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

  12. #12
    Ivan's Avatar
    Ivan is offline. Pastor
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    11,321
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcFadden View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by prespastor View Post
    Sometimes it is important to back up and look at the big picture...

    Any view of this subject without first asking 'What is ordination?' is bound to lead to the wrong conclusions.

    I believe ordination is simply the church acknowledging Christ's prior calling and appointing a man into either the office of deacon or elder. This is acknowledged in different ways by different churches. One church may do this at the denominational level for some offices (presbytery) while others may do it at the local level.

    If a church is a true church, and they have, after their own fashion, acknowledged and set a man apart for office, I view the man duly appointed. That's not to say that the process may not be 'more or less pure', but in the end, I acknowledge the appointment.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]Ivan Schoen ~ [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]The Church in [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]Poplar Grove, IL[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black]=================================[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [LEFT][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black]"As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives." ~ Henry David Thoreau[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black][/LEFT]
    [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72