Church Office discuss Church Government... in the The Church forums; Recently I was conversing with a group of Christians and the topic fell unto church government. I was amazed at how many of the individuals ...

Jaymin Allen is offline. Puritanboard Freshman

Church Government...

Recently I was conversing with a group of Christians and the topic fell unto church government. I was amazed at how many of the individuals in the conversation believed church government was simply a matter of indifference or preference and doesn't really offer any operational points in the Christians life. I am a firm believer that theological insights nearly invariably yield practical implications. Are any of you guys learned on the issue and understand some of the benefits of a strong church government?

I just picked up the "Who Runs the Church" from the Counterpoint series... Hope it is a bit helpful
    Jaymin Jordan-Allen
    Student, United Reformed Church
    Ontario, CA

Presbyterian Deacon is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaymin Allen View Post
    Recently I was conversing with a group of Christians and the topic fell unto church government. I was amazed at how many of the individuals in the conversation believed church government was simply a matter of indifference or preference and doesn't really offer any operational points in the Christians life. I am a firm believer that theological insights nearly invariably yield practical implications. Are any of you guys learned on the issue and understand some of the benefits of a strong church government?

I just picked up the "Who Runs the Church" from the Counterpoint series... Hope it is a bit helpful

Aaron's Rod Blossoming: or the Divine Ordinance of Church Government Vindicated by George Gillespie (1646) Reprinted in 1985 by Sprinkle Publications is an excellent resource on this topic.
    Sterling Harmon
    Presbyterian Church of Coventry (PCA)
    Coventry, CT
    Ruling Elder

"Whatever is laudable in our works proceeds from the grace of God."
    -- John Calvin, Institutes III:xv.3.

"Our Lord God must be a good man, to be fond of worthless fellows. I cannot like them, and yet I, myself, am one."
    -- Martin Luther, Table Talk

Interim Pulpit Supply of New England

My Facebook

jaybird0827 is offline. PuritanBoard Honor Roll
    Blog Entries
    Chapters 25-31 of the Westminster Confession of Faith (please also consult Scripture proofs) are a good resource.
    ~Jay~
    Husband of ENS, father of J II. | Indian Trail, NC
    disabled - cancer
    Communicant Member, Precentor | Presbyterian Reformed Church of Charlotte, NC | Presbyterian Reformed Church

Presbyterian Deacon is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    I picked up a Banner of Truth book last year (or maybe the year before) called:

The Reformation of the Church: A collection of Reformed and Puritan documents on Church issues. (Selected with introductory notes by) Iain H. Murray. -- Published by Banner of Truth 1965, reprinted 1987.

I was thumbing through it this afternoon, and remembered this thread. This book might be helpful as it contains selections from a number of Puritans about Church Government.
    Sterling Harmon
    Presbyterian Church of Coventry (PCA)
    Coventry, CT
    Ruling Elder

"Whatever is laudable in our works proceeds from the grace of God."
    -- John Calvin, Institutes III:xv.3.

"Our Lord God must be a good man, to be fond of worthless fellows. I cannot like them, and yet I, myself, am one."
    -- Martin Luther, Table Talk

Interim Pulpit Supply of New England

My Facebook

Pergamum is offline. Ordinary Guy (TM)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaymin Allen View Post

They might have only been relucatant to jump into an issue that has fostered a lot of heat throughout the centuries. Many people today are anti-institutional and talking of church polity seems to be focusing on institutions rather than Christ. I suspect that my generation is not merely ignorant on this issue but also often unwilling to get too engaged in this topic and they probably quickly change the subject.
    Pergamum

"If a commission by an earthly king is considered a honor, how can a commission by a Heavenly King be considered a sacrifice?"
    -- David Livingstone