The Honor Roll discuss Gerald E. Winebrenner (gwine) 1952-2007 in the The Christian Walk forums; Gerry Winebrenner was my best friend. We vacationed together, took trips, haunted Half-Priced books together, showed off our reformed book acquisitions and searched for THE ...

BobVigneault is offline. Bawberator

Gerald E. Winebrenner (gwine) 1952-2007

Gerry Winebrenner was my best friend. We vacationed together, took trips, haunted Half-Priced books together, showed off our reformed book acquisitions and searched for THE tastiest beer.

Gerry was a non-conformist and consequently a puzzle to many. He didn't watch television at all and could only name shows that he heard the less erudite fellows discussing with irritating and prurient excitement. Gerry's response was to turn off his hearing aids and read the puritan tome he had downloaded to his PDA. His PDA was ever present in his shirt pocket in case he needed a Bible verse or reference or the relative magnitude of a star. Once, on a trip, he figured out where we were by the angle and position of the sun. You see even the smallest detail reveals so much about Gerry because nothing was left to accident.

Take the PDA, he only wore shirts that had a front pocket for his pda. We were given the opportunity to order shirts with our Church name on it. Gerry raised his hand and asked if the shirt had a front pocket. The answer was 'no' and so Gerry didn't order a shirt - it was a simple matter of boolean logic for him. If the pocket = 0, then 'the placement of the order' is a null set. That is how Gerry thought. He knew what he liked and what he didn't like and it was all algebra and calculus. Gerry was a geek's geek. His passwords were uncrackable yet memorized - he knew pi to around 20 places.

Consider a previous post of his as an example of what I'm speaking of:

And God said:

∇ • E = ρ / εo

∇ • B = 0

∇ x E = - ∂B/∂t

∇ x B = μoJ + μoεo∂E/∂t

And it was so.

Rev 21:23 And the city has no need of sun or moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and its lamp is the Lamb.
    Rev 21:24 By its light will the nations walk, and the kings of the earth will bring their glory into it,
    Rev 21:25 and its gates will never be shut by day--and there will be no night there.
    or his very last post on the PB in which he quoted from The Journal of Irreproducible Results, vol. 20, #3, March 1974, pages 22-23. Where did he find that and why?

He didn't view the world as most of us see it.

Gerry didn't hear the world as most of us hear it either. Gerry was deaf. With super powered hearing aids he was able to hear certain frequencies and with his ability to read lips he could follow a conversation extremely well. He worked incredibly hard on pronouncing words. If he encountered a word he was unsure of he would ask someone to repeat it and he would watch their lips closely, then he would repeat it and ask for feedback until he spoke the word perfectly. Most folks would never guess he couldn't hear. The amazing thing is, in spite of what should have made conversation a struggle, Gerry could and did start up a conversation with anyone. Even though his years as a youth were filled with ridicule because of his disability, he made strangers feel accepted and cared about.

He was a sprout farmer. There was always a crop of sprouts growing in his front window. Everyday he would take a sprout sandwich with him to General Motors where he worked as an electrician. Yesterday, as Deb and the boys were trying to decide on a floral arrangement to go on top of the casket, poor exhausted Deb said, "Bob, what do you think?" I had to laugh as I looked at the pictures of pretty flowers. "I've been wracking my brain trying to remember any conversations about flowers that we might have had," I answered, "Gerry fought the norm, he would have wanted SPROUTS on his casket." He was into health. He exercised and ate whole grains. (Deb makes all their breads.) He wouldn't take an aspirin, he drank pure water, he avoided sunlight and always put safety first. When I heard that speed was a factor in the car crash I knew a few things were certain - that Gerry would have had his seat belt on, was fully attentive to his driving and well under the speed limit. We knew that if speed was a factor then it was the other guy who was reckless. The coroner confirmed by investigation what we all knew through intimacy with our practical Gerry.

Needless to say, it's impossible to capture a lifetime in these few lines. I just wanted to reveal some of the things that made Gerry unique and special as a friend. His most important attribute came up yesterday as we were trying to select a verse to sit opposite his obituary on the program for the funeral. The booklet of samples had about 75 trite, sentimental and generic verses about memories of our dear friend and love is like a dove and whatever. Mutual friend and pastor, David King, said that he could come up with much better verses if Deb would like. Again Deb turned to me and asked if I had an opinion. I told her that Gerry would not like any of these, nor would he like words that said how wonderful he was. "If it's not Christ honoring, then Gerry wouldn't like it." Pastor David opened his Bible and read the passages that will be listed in the program.

1 Peter 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.

1Corinthians 15:20 But in fact Christ has been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. 21 For as by a man came death, by a man has come also the resurrection of the dead. 22 For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive. 23 But each in his own order: Christ the firstfruits, then at his coming those who belong to Christ.

John 11:25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live.
    So this is the legacy Gerry leaves us: know what you like and what you don't like but in both of these choices, honor God and his Son Jesus Christ. If Gerry could speak now, those who knew and love Gerry can easily imagine that his words would mirror the sentiments of the Apostle Paul when he said -

But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith— that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead. Philippians 3:7-11

Gerald E. Winebrenner 1952-2007
    When it comes to havoc, I WREAK!
    Bob Vigneault
    Seventy And Fourteen (blog)
    The Heartbeat of Heaven (blog)
    Spiritual Warfare (blog)
    Member, Grace Evangelical Free Church (Reforming!), Afton, WI
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

Blueridge Believer is offline. Puritanboard Professor
    That was beautiful dear brother.
    Psa 55:16 As for me, I will call upon God; and the LORD shall save me.
    Psa 55:17 Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice.
    James Farley
    Husband of Melissa and father of Ann.
    Grandfather to Owen and Claire
    Member and precentor of Psalms at Grace Reformed Presbyterian, Dublin Va.

VictorBravo is offline. Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueridge Baptist View Post
    That was beautiful dear brother.
    Indeed, you were truly blessed to have such a good and faithful friend. We were blessed as well, from a distance.
    R. Victor Bottomly
    Port Cities Reformed Baptist Church, Lewiston ID

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- How to access Politics and Government forum

caddy is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Thanks for your encouraging letter Bob.

Paul in Philippians 1:9-11:

And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ--to the glory and praise of God.

What a wonderful thing to be blameless and in the presence of our Lord!

Semper Fidelis is offline. 2 Timothy 2:24-25
    Blog Entries
    I'd use a crying smiley but it would be so crass to capture that tribute...

Bob, when I die, I want a friend like you to be by my loved ones helping them.

I'm so, so sorry for your loss.

I'm very glad we could do this to memorialize Gerry. It's such a small thing and the Internet is hardly the same as the visible touch of those in our visible Church but it is a small corner where those of us, united to Christ in His death and resurrection, can share our common joy in Him.

Thank you God for letting Gerry cross our path. Comfort those he left behind. Death is our enemy and so we weep. But not as those without hope.
    Rich
    Ruling Elder, Licentiate, Under Care, Hope of Christ Church (PCA), Northern VA
    Student, New Geneva Theological Seminary

WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to build and promote your web site.
    SoliDeoGloria.com - A Community for Reformed Thought and Discussion

Pilgrim's Progeny is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Speechless! I would love to have a friendship like that which was between you and Gerry. I have officiated several funerals and I have always been comforted when I could say that the God of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, is(not was) the God of the deceased as well. What glorious comfort from our Sovereign.
    Paul Woods
    Reformed Baptist
    Pastor
    Lighthouse Bible Church
    Missouri

Men could be content to have the kingdom of Heaven; but they are loathe to fight for it. They choose rather to go in a feather bed to Hell than to be carried to Heaven in a ‘fiery chariot’ of zeal and violence. Thomas Watson Heaven Taken by Storm
    From my latest read

Ivan is offline. Pastor
    Thank you, Bob, for a wonderful tribute. You can be sure that Gerry can hear now!

I receive Grace Gems every day via email. I thought today's offering was very appropriate.

Your dying day

(Thomas Watson, "The Lord's Prayer")

"Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom!" --- Luke 12:32

What little cause have the saints to fear death! Are any afraid of going to a glorious kingdom? What is there in this world that should make us desirous to stay here? Is not this world "a valley of tears"--and do we weep to leave it? Are we not in a wilderness among fiery serpents--and are we afraid to leave these serpents?

God is ever displaying the banner of His love in heaven, and is there any love like His? Are there any sweeter smiles, or softer embraces than His? What hurt can death do to them--but lead them to a glorious kingdom! Let this be a gospel antidote to expel the fear of death.

Christian, your dying day will be your wedding day--and do you fear it? Is a slave afraid to be set free? Is a virgin afraid to be matched into the crown? Death may take away a few worldly comforts--but it gives that which is better; it takes away a flower--and gives a jewel! If the saints possess a kingdom when they die, they have no cause to fear death. A prince would not be afraid to cross the sea, though tempestuous--if he were sure to be crowned as soon as he came to shore!

Faith gives a title to heaven--but death gives a possession of heaven! Death brings us to the end of our sorrow, and the beginning of our joy! Death is the entrance into a blessed eternity!
    [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]Ivan Schoen ~ [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]The Church in [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]Poplar Grove, IL[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black]=================================[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [LEFT][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black]"As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives." ~ Henry David Thoreau[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black][/LEFT]
    [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Blueridge Believer is offline. Puritanboard Professor
    Thoughts On Death

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To debar death from our thoughts, and the future eternal world from our meditations—will neither render us immortal, nor afford us a triumphant dismissal from this into the eternal world—but must make our exit dreadful, and our latter end a scene of ineffable anguish. While, on the other hand, we never enjoy the pleasures of life, the sweets of society, and the endearments of our friends and families, with a better relish—than when serious thoughts of death and eternity predominate in our mind. We should study—

1. To have a practical belief in the future eternal states of both heaven and hell.

2. Not to be much elated with prosperity.

3. Not to be much dejected by adversity.

4. To more and more be weaned from the world, and to have our conversation more and more in heaven.

5. To have frequent meditations on death and eternity; and then, when death comes, we may be made, not only submissive to our dissolution—but long to depart, and be ravished in the prospect of our being forever with the Lord.

JAMES MEIKLE 1730-1799
    Psa 55:16 As for me, I will call upon God; and the LORD shall save me.
    Psa 55:17 Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice.
    James Farley
    Husband of Melissa and father of Ann.
    Grandfather to Owen and Claire
    Member and precentor of Psalms at Grace Reformed Presbyterian, Dublin Va.

Kevin is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Thanks Bob, that was touching.
    TE Kevin Rogers
    MNA Church Planter
    Redeemer Community Church
    Moncton NB

Barnpreacher is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by SemperFideles View Post
    I'd use a crying smiley but it would be so crass to capture that tribute...

I was thinking the same thing. This has been very difficult news to follow as it always hurts to lose a brother or sister in Christ here below.

God's grace be upon you and Gerry's family during your loss, Bob.
    Ryan Barnhart
    Husband to a beautiful wife, Father to two beautiful girls and one on the way
    4th year student at Whitefield Bible College - B.A. Bible
    2nd year student at Greenville Presbyterian Theological Seminary - MDiv

Anton Bruckner is offline. Puritanboard Professor
    ~Keon Garraway~ Brooklyn, NY Member of Franklin Square OPC

Love for God demonstrated by the love for our children in giving them a God centered education is the only hope for our country. by David Morrow
    Pslam 71:20 [Thou], which hast shewed me great and sore troubles, shalt quicken me again, and shalt bring me up again from the depths of the earth.

bookslover is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend, Bob. A very close friend of mind died of brain cancer 5 years ago. He was only 56. So, I've been where you are. My friend was a Christian also, so, while grieving, I was able to also rejoice in that. "Grieving, but not like those who have no hope."
    Richard Zuelch
    Westminster Presbyterian Church (OPC), Westminster, CA
    www.reiterations.wordpress.com

I, I am He who blots out your transgressions for My own sake, and I will not remember your sins. (Isaiah 43.25)

armourbearer is offline. Moderator
    Bob, that is very touching. May God touch you with the gentleness of His comforting hand at this time of grief!
    Yours sincerely,
    Rev. Matthew Winzer
    Australian Free Church,
    Victoria, Australia

"Illum oportet crescere me autem minui."

tellville is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Bob, thank you for this thread and your touching words.
    Mark Maney
    Auckland Chinese Presbyterian Church
    Trinity Western University, ACTS Seminaries
    Auckland, New Zealand

Raj
    Raj is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Blog Entries
    "Thank you God for letting Gerry cross our path. Comfort those he left behind. Death is our enemy and so we weep. But not as those without hope."

Amen. So touching words to read about our beloved brother.
    <Raj>
    Church Planting/Community development
    www.mrfindia.blogspot.in

"No Other Name except Jesus to be Saved" Acts 4:12

Pergamum is offline. Ordinary Guy (TM)
    Saddened, but with a joy in Christ. No partings are forever between friends in Christ. He is just the advance party.
    Pergamum

"If a commission by an earthly king is considered a honor, how can a commission by a Heavenly King be considered a sacrifice?"
    -- David Livingstone

PuritanCovenanter is offline. The Norseman Moderator
    Blog Entries
    I hate separation. I haven't had to deal with death for quite a few years now. At least nine. I hope for Gerry's family goodness and mercy. I pray their sadness is not long lived. Heaven is looking brighter the older we get. I may be selfish but I like the No Tears Formula Heaven has to offer.

Be Encouraged Bob. You are greatly loved.
    Randy

And Gerry will be missed.

Norseman Moderator

Randy Martin Snyder
    RPCNA Covenanter's Blog

"Our object should not be to have scripture on our side but to be on the side of scripture; and however dear any sentiment may have become by being long entertained, so soon as it is seen to be contrary to the Bible, we must be prepared to abandon it without hesitation."
    William Symington

RSI FacebookReformation Society of Indiana
    Twitter RPCNACovenanter
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions? -- Joining PB Politics and Government Forums

a mere housewife is offline. Not your cup of tea
    Bob he sounds like a truly amazing person and reading your post about his life helped me to be even gladder for his joy, and for God's goodness in creating Him. I will pray for you and his wife and family. Thanks for posting this.
    Heidi
    Steger, IL

'I cannot live like Jesus, example though he be
    For he was strong and selfless, and I am tied to me.
    But I have asked my Jesus to live his life in me . . .
    Behold his warm, his tangible, his dear humanity.'
    -Betty Stam

turmeric is offline. Megerator
    Blog Entries
    Can someone find his last post here? It might be interesting. Thank God we'll see him again.
    The man who is disposed to think of his sin as a great calamity, rather than as a heinous crime, is not likely either to reverence God or to respect His law. - John Kennedy, 1873
    Meg
    Blog
    Member, Intown Presbyterian Church,PCA, Portland, OR

Contra_Mundum is offline. Pilgrim, Alien, Stranger
    I wish I could've know him here.
    I'll wait for now, and greet him there.
    Rev. Bruce G. Buchanan
    ChainOLakes Presbyterian Church, CentralLake, MI

Made both Lord and Christ--Jesus, the Destroyer
    Acts 2:36 - 1 Cor. 10:9-10 & 15:22-26 - Hebrews 2:9-15 - 1 John 3:8 - James 4:12

When posting friends, kindly bear those words of earthly wisdom in mind:

Oh, that God the gift would give us
    To see ourselves as others see us.
    --Robert Burns, 1786 (modernized) ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions? -- Sermons

Semper Fidelis is offline. 2 Timothy 2:24-25
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by turmeric View Post
    Can someone find his last post here? It might be interesting. Thank God we'll see him again.
    What is in the enormous black hole?

You really have to read it in context. It's hilarious.
    Rich
    Ruling Elder, Licentiate, Under Care, Hope of Christ Church (PCA), Northern VA
    Student, New Geneva Theological Seminary

WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to build and promote your web site.
    SoliDeoGloria.com - A Community for Reformed Thought and Discussion

PuritanCovenanter is offline. The Norseman Moderator
    Blog Entries
    What is in the enormous black hole?

Quote Originally Posted by gwine View Post
    While some have suggested that all the extra copies of National Geographic magazine are weighing down California, which will result in it soon slip-sliding into the Pacific Ocean (see this article), may I respectfully suggest that the magazines in question are in fact not in California but are the root cause of the black hole in question?

Norseman Moderator

Randy Martin Snyder
    RPCNA Covenanter's Blog

"Our object should not be to have scripture on our side but to be on the side of scripture; and however dear any sentiment may have become by being long entertained, so soon as it is seen to be contrary to the Bible, we must be prepared to abandon it without hesitation."
    William Symington

RSI FacebookReformation Society of Indiana
    Twitter RPCNACovenanter
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions? -- Joining PB Politics and Government Forums

Blog Entries
    Bob, I grieve with you in the loss of your friend and pray for the Lord to comfort you and his family in the coming days. What a poignant tribute to your friend, and what a comfort to know you will see him again in glory. Blessings!
    "Is this not a brand plucked from the fire?” - Zechariah 3:2

James Helbert, Wytheville, VA
    Providence Reformed Presbyterian Church, RPCUS

GraceAndLaw.net / The Edinburgh Inn

Baroque Norseman is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Bob, that was a very good post on Gerry. Thank you for sharing that with us. And thank you for the good picture. Putting a face to Gerry's name adds another dimension to it. Again, thank you for sharing his testimony with us.
    Jacob
    M.A., Louisiana College
    Studied at RTS Jackson
    ARP, Louisiana

2Kingdomz4Life

My blog: Extra Nos

DMcFadden is offline. Meum cerebrum nocet
    Bob, thank you for a amazing tribute of friendship. May the Lord bless you in your grief.
    Dennis E. McFadden, Ex Mainline Baptist (in Remission)
    Atherton Baptist Homes, Alhambra, CA, President/CEO, Retired
    Emmanuel Lutheran Church, LCMS

BobVigneault is offline. Bawberator
    Thank you everyone. Deb was here at the house for a while last night and she was very moved by the outpouring of prayers and encouragement from the Puritan Board. Gerry really was a brilliant man but he didn't think so and never gave himself enough credit. He could have done just about anything. The saddest part is that he didn't believe that people would have much interest in him and this resulted in a lack of confidence. So it meant a lot to Deb and their son Christian to see so many messages literally coming from around the world. Thank you again.

Much of what we find on the internet is a propped up illusion of what people wish was reality. The community here on the PB is a 'real community of faith' because it is empowered by the same Providence and Spirit that has moved, shaped and sustained the invisible church for two millennia. The Board isn't a utopia; it is vulnerable to the weaknesses that we sinners bring in through our keyboards, but it is surely part of our Lord's building plan when he said, "I will build my church and the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it." The simple act of encouraging a wife in the midst of death's sting, and again stating the truth of the resurrection, is an open attack against Hell itself and it has no defense against it. Even in our simple words of support for a grieving family we occupy new land for the Kingdom.
    When it comes to havoc, I WREAK!
    Bob Vigneault
    Seventy And Fourteen (blog)
    The Heartbeat of Heaven (blog)
    Spiritual Warfare (blog)
    Member, Grace Evangelical Free Church (Reforming!), Afton, WI

Robert Truelove is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    My condolences to Gerry's family and friends.

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us." - Romans 8:18
    Robert Truelove
    Pastor
    Christ Reformed Church
    Lawrenceville, GA

lwadkins is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    A truly touching tribute Bob, thanks for taking the time to share it with us. May God show mercy to you and to Gerry's family through the comfort of His presence.
    How often have you wondered why Christ should set His heart upon such a one as you! --Octavius Winslow

Lon Wadkins (Jesup, Iowa)
    New Covenant Fellowship, OPC
    Independence, Iowa

Bladestunner316 is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Bob this was very well done thank you for sharing this with us!!
    Nathan Olaf Brandal

"Man is nothing: he hath a free will to go to hell, but none to go to heaven, till God worketh in him to will and to do his good pleasure"
    GEORGE WHITEFIELD TO JOHN WESLEY

My Blog

panta dokimazete is offline. Panting Donkey Machete
    I hardly ever look at the front page of the PB, so this is late coming...and words can't express...well, my words can't...for our dear brother:

53For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality. 54When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: "Death has been swallowed up in victory."
    55"Where, O death, is your victory?
    Where, O death, is your sting?" 56The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. 57But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

58Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain. -- 1 Corinthians 15

And this is all our hope...

16 ‘A little while, and you will no longer see me, and again a little while, and you will see me.’ John 16

Blessings, brother...
    JD Longmire
    Membership in Process
    1st Pres Ocean Springs, MS